Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Asset Protection & Insurance: Is Your Cheney Rental Property Covered?

Filling Out Insurance Paperwork with a Model House in the ForefrontIt is common knowledge that Cheney rental property owners should have good quality insurance to protect their real estate investments. Although there are some different kinds of insurance, each with its own coverages and limits. That can bring about realizing which insurance you need somewhat of a huge deal and challenge. Landlord or Investor insurance, landlord liability, umbrella, and flood insurance are just a few examples of the types of insurance that are out there. Given that different types of insurance are designed to protect different things, being aware of what each is designed for can support you in finding out how you can best protect your rental property assets with the correct type and amount of coverage.

Unlike homeowner’s insurance, Landlord or Investment Property Insurance is aimed to uphold and protect your investment property. This type of insurance covers the rental home and usually exterior features, such as sheds or fences. Landlord insurance does not cover your tenant or your tenant’s personal property so this is the reason why many landlords oblige their tenants to purchase their own renter’s insurance policy and sometimes tenant liability insurance moreover.

Landlord Liability insurance is different from Investment Property Insurance but is often included. This is due to the fact that this type of insurance covers losses related to damage, theft, or vandalism caused by tenants or their guests, it also covers liability in the event of an injury. This type of insurance is developed not simply to ensure your rental home is protected but, in addition, the financial aspects of your investment as well.

An umbrella policy is merely what it seems like: broad coverage for a rental property that adds an extra layer of protection for individuals who own property or have an occupation that is prone to lawsuits. For the reason that being a landlord belongs to both of these types, it is worth studying an umbrella policy to protect your assets if you are sued for damages in excess of your other insurance policies. These policies also typically protect the insured against loss of rent or damages to other people’s property or injury caused by others, such as a tenant.

On the other hand, it is vital to take into consideration that granting an umbrella policy usually does not cover losses to your rental property due to a flood. For a variety of reasons, flood insurance is usually offered as a separate policy that must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This type of insurance typically covers the actual cash value (not the replacement cost) of the physical structure of the home and a detached garage, if there is. Although various Cheney property owners suppose that they don’t need flood insurance because their property is not located in a “high-risk” area, the truth is that floods can and do happen anywhere, and oftentimes strike without warning. Either way, whether from a burst pipe or an unusual amount of rain floods damage and destroy homes on a regular basis.

With a bunch of different types of insurance available, it’s imperative to examine your coverage amounts mindfully and warrant that you are not paying for insurance you don’t need, but that the insurance you do have provides the right amount of coverage. However, understanding if you have the right insurance coverage can be a real nuisance unless you have reliable industry experts on your team who can help you. At Real Property Management Spokane County, we can help you determine how to best protect your valuable properties and your financial well-being with the right insurance coverage. To learn more, contact us or call us at 509-462-1042 for more needed information.

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.